Friday, February 5, 2016

Details on Demand - Part 2

In my first Details on Demand post I talked about how a friend suggested Math on the Level and what an amazing discovery that was.  However, the post was getting long, time was getting short and, to be honest, my spreadsheet wasn't finished yet.  Now that I've got a completed spreadsheet under my belt (that's an odd mental image, isn't it?) and a little more time, here's the rest of the summary overview of our new system.

In the last post, I shared an image of the main/first page of our spreadsheet:


This worksheet lists all the concepts to be tacked before Algebra.  The X's on the right simply indicate mastery - concepts that are ready for review.  However, I also have separate worksheets for each child.


Each child's individual worksheet enables me to track not only what concepts they need to review, but how often they need to review them, when they have recently reviewed that topic and how they fared with it.  Here's a sample of Luke's worksheet.


"Max intended" lists how frequently I'd like Luke to practice this concept.  Because I'm just getting my feet wet (and because Luke has a ton to review ... this is only about half of his list) I've put most everything at 21 days (once every three weeks).  However, he had a little difficulty with #76 Converting Between Customary Units, so I upgraded that to a once-a-week (7 days) review.  The blue column shows how many days have passed since the last practice and the column to the right of that displays *** if the topic is up for review.

As I assign new problems, I put in the date to the right.  The gray column tracks the most recent time that topic was covered.  I took this screen snip after assigning Luke 5-A-Days for 2/3/16 but before updating the spreadsheet to show how well he did so that you could see the ones assigned for a particular day.  Even though he only does five problems per day, one problem can review multiple concepts.  For example, I was able to ask one question that addressed both #10 and #11 and another question that addressed both #7 and #129 (Comparing Fractions).

Problems given on previous days and already checked have been color coded.  Green means he got it correct.  Yellow indicates a problem he missed, but was able to correct without any help.  Red (not shown here) indicates he had trouble and needed help.  More than one red and I'll reassess whether this is really a concept that belongs in the "mastered, ready for review" group.

For comparison, here's Robyn's personal worksheet.


While the screen snip from Luke's page showed only a portion of his review concepts, this is everything for Robyn.  A much smaller list.  And so a much more frequent rotation.

Another day I'll go into more detail about why this system is so great for us.  And I know I've just dropped a blizzard of new blog posts on folks, so feel free to take a few days to sift through it all.  It may be that long before I get back to adding anything new because my next project is to get the Language spreadsheet up and running.  Enjoy your weekend!

P.S. There is a Youtube Video giving more detail about how to use this spreadsheet narrated by the person who created it (a Math on the Level homeschool mom).  It won't be of much use/interest to you, unless you are thinking of personally adopting this kind of system.  Otherwise the summary above is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment